“Do what you love” is what Gauri Argade strongly believes in.
“Design is not a purpose, but a passion!” is Gauri’s philosophy. She says, “design is an art which showcases ‘Passion’, ‘Beauty’ and ‘Creativity’.” Following this mantra, she derives uniqueness in each project. According to her, “a personal space reflects the expressions of a soul that resides in it. The first challenge lies in connecting to the soul and exploring its multi-faceted affinities. The next challenge lies in transforming these multi-dimensional aspects into a three dimensional space, beautifying its intricacies. Design is something more than aesthetics; it is all about creating spaces in which one would intuitively feel at home.”
Gauri started ‘काम्य’ design studio in 2009, after working with few architects. She completed her Diploma in Interior Designing from PVP, SNDT Juhu, where she currently teaches Furniture design and Product Design. Her inspiration to join as a visiting faculty in her alma mater was to stay connected with young minds. The practical experience that she gained through years of work, made her understand the gaps between the theory taught in classrooms and actual practice. Gauri attempted to bring in this understanding while teaching one of the most critical subjects, Design.
Here is Gauri’s take on “What is design process?”
While designing, we designers come across a very common question, as to what is a design process? Whether it is for a residence, office space, commercial complexes or public areas, every interior designer follows a certain process. Design process is a complex and a step-by-step procedure to achieve the final design outcome.
At ‘Kaamya design studio’ based in Mumbai by Gauri, one needs to follow a flow chart, which enables one to explain to clients the next line of work and helps them stay on the same page till the project is completed. The stages typically involved in the interior design process are as follows:
1. A design problem is put forth in front of the designer or rather a space is given. The space can be a public space or commercial or residential space.
2. Every space comes with a requirement or say design essentials. Every space has different functions so lots of brainstorming takes place at this stage. These sessions are extremely important as they become the backbone of your design process. You just can’t go wrong here.
3. Based on the above points first cut options, doodles are made. An initial basic costing based on the budget of the client is drafted here. The costing majorly depends on the design & materials.
4. At stage 4, design discussion continues based on the initial meetings & feedback.
6. Stage 6- ‘Kaamya special’, it is where we regard it as the turning point of the project, where as they say the ‘X’ Factor is defined. Now that we know much about how our clients feel about their space, what they like and how they think, we bring out the core of our clients’ individualities through our designs. We painstakingly blend our creative designs with the clients’ tastes, so that the space truly reflects their nature.
7. The agencies having diverse expertise come into the picture, they take it further for execution.
8. Work takes place in collaboration here as every expert reviews the design.
9. If required based on the consultants reviews, changes are made.
10. We brainstorm & refine the design.
11. Further it is fine tuned & detailed drawings are produced.
12. Refining further it is ready for execution.